Things and Stuff Wiki - an organically evolving knowledge base wiki containing topic outlines, descriptions and breadcrumbs, with links to sites, systems, software, manuals, organisations, people, articles, guides, slides, papers, books, comments, screencasts, webcasts, scratchpads, and more. table of contents for navigation on long pages. see About for further information. / et / em
- 1 CLI software
- 2 GUI software
- 3 Markdown
- 4 PDF
- 5 Tools
- 6 DTP / Office
- 7 Spreadsheets
- 8 Templates
- 9 Presentations
- 10 Contacts
- 11 Services
- sandy is a (suckless) ncurses text editor with an easy-to-read, hackable C source. Sandy tries to maximize screen estate, minimize the SLOC used and not get in your way too much. It can somehow be controlled using a named pipe that lives in /tmp and all preferences and keybindings are to be chosen at compile time.
- https://github.com/tsujan/FeatherPad - Lightweight Qt5 Plain-Text Editor for Linux
- https://foicica.com/textadept/ Textadept is a fast, minimalist, and remarkably extensible cross-platform text editor.
- WordGrinder is a Unicode-aware character cell word processor that runs in a terminal (or a Windows console). It is designed to get the hell out of your way and let you get some work done.It's designed for writing text. It gets out of your way and lets you type.
See also Data#Markdown
- ReText is a simple but powerful editor for Markdown and reStructuredText markup languages. ReText is written in Python language and works on Linux and other POSIX-compatible platforms. To install ReText, use setup.py install command.
- https://app.simplenote.com - mobile and desktop apps. no TOC.
- http://socrates.io/#tFoy0r1 - no TOC
- https://somd.ch/ - no TOC
- https://markable.in - preview pane has a weird horizontal scroll going on..
- https://pandao.github.io - preview pane doesn't sync correctly
- https://marxi.co/ - only saves to Evernote
- http://mdp.tylingsoft.com/ - $. Local Storage doesn't work in hosted demo.
CV / résumé
install imagemagick sudo npm install -g phantomjs-prebuilt github-markdown-to-png github-markdown-to-png -i yourmarkdownfile.md
github-markdown-to-png -i yourmarkdownfile.md -o png-dir
- https://github.com/joeyespo/grip - a command-line server application written in Python that uses the GitHub markdown API to render a local readme file. The styles come directly from GitHub, so you'll know exactly how it will appear. Changes you make to the Readme will be instantly reflected in the browser without requiring a page refresh.
- allmark - a file-system-centric markdown web server. You can point it at any directory that contains markdown files and it will immediately start a web-server that serves the rendered HTML content of the markdown file to you. And it will not only render the markdown files in your directory as HTML, but it will also add everything that it needed for a complete website: Navigation, Full-text Search, Theming, Sitemap, RSS, Tags, … on-the-fly with websocket-based live-reload. Animation: Cloning allmark from github, building it and taking it out for a test run on the allmark repository itself, and thanks to the power of go all of this is super fast and done with a single standalone application.
- Pandoc - a universal document converter If you need to convert files from one markup format into another, pandoc is your swiss-army knife. Pandoc can convert documents in markdown, reStructuredText, textile, HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, MediaWiki markup, TWiki markup, OPML, Emacs Org-Mode, Txt2Tags, Microsoft Word docx, LibreOffice ODT, EPUB, or Haddock markup to:
- HTML formats: XHTML, HTML5, and HTML slide shows using Slidy, reveal.js, Slideous, S5, or DZSlides.
- Word processor formats: Microsoft Word docx, OpenOffice/LibreOffice ODT, OpenDocument XML
- Ebooks: EPUB version 2 or 3, FictionBook2
- Documentation formats: DocBook, TEI Simple, GNU TexInfo, Groff man pages, Haddock markup
- Page layout formats: InDesign ICML
- Outline formats: OPML
- TeX formats: LaTeX, ConTeXt, LaTeX Beamer slides
- PDF via LaTeX
- Lightweight markup formats: Markdown (including CommonMark), reStructuredText, AsciiDoc, MediaWiki markup, DokuWiki markup, Emacs Org-Mode, Textile
- Custom formats: custom writers can be written in lua.
- Pandoc understands a number of useful markdown syntax extensions, including document metadata (title, author, date); footnotes; tables; definition lists; superscript and subscript; strikeout; enhanced ordered lists (start number and numbering style are significant); running example lists; delimited code blocks with syntax highlighting; smart quotes, dashes, and ellipses; markdown inside HTML blocks; and inline LaTeX. If strict markdown compatibility is desired, all of these extensions can be turned off.
pandoc -s -r html http://www.gnu.org/software/make/ -o example12.md # Converting a web page to markdown pandoc MANUAL.txt --latex-engine=xelatex -o example13.pdf # From markdown to PDF. Arch Linux package requirements: texlive-core texlive-latexextra # bug: does not work with .md that has too many nested headings! 
- Docverter - Convert plain text documents written in HTML, Markdown, or LaTeX to PDF, Docx, RTF or ePub with a simple HTTP API. It wraps the following open-source software in a JRuby app: Pandoc for plain text to HTML and ePub conversion, Flying Saucer for HTML to PDF, Calibre for ePub to MOBI conversion
- Docutils is an open-source text processing system for processing plaintext documentation into useful formats, such as HTML, LaTeX, man-pages, open-document or XML. It includes reStructuredText, the easy to read, easy to use, what-you-see-is-what-you-get plaintext markup language.
DTP / Office
LibreOffice / OpenOffice
- https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Number_Format_Codes - no ordinal suffixes!
- Template Releases: Writer
- LibreOffice Writer: Creating Templates
- Getting Started Guide: Chapter 3 - Using Styles and Templates - pdf
- WollMux is an OpenOffice.org plugin with enhanced template, form, and autotext functionality. It can construct templates on the fly from multiple files (e.g. letterhead, footer, and body text) and will fill in personal and organizational data from various databases such as LDAP. An extra form GUI presents fields in an easily navigable manner and offers plausibility checks and computed values to ease filling in the form. Chainable printing functions allow various transformations during print and custom dialogs.
- LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM) and not simply their appearance (WYSIWYG).
See also WebDev#Authoring
- http://www.trelby.org/ - screenwriting
- http://dictator.kieranholland.com/dictator.html - reading (rapid serial)
- http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/03/visicalc-software-first-killer-app-john-naughton 
- http://opentemplate.org/ - odf
- http://www.psprint.com/design-templates/letterhead/ - inspiration
- http://www3.nd.edu/~sbyrnes1/pdf/Writing_Resources/Sample_Letter_Format.pdf - american
Often zen like.
- https://www.jottit.com/ - zen-ish
- https://paste.sh/about - locally saved, encrypted
- http://coedit.me/ - code highlighting, vim/emacs
- http://onword.co/ - twitter login