Jump to navigation Jump to search
See Storage/Files#Managing files for TUI file managers
xdg-mime query default inode/directory xdg-mime default nautilus.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
- Vifm - a file manager with curses interface, which provides Vi[m]-like environment for managing objects within file systems, extended with some useful ideas from mutt. If you use vi, Vifm gives you complete keyboard control over your files without having to learn a new set of commands.
- https://github.com/dylanaraps/shfm - wip file manager written in posix shell
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manager#Orthodox_file_managers - sometimes abbreviated to "OFM" or command-based file managers are text-menu based file managers, that commonly have three windows (two panels and one command line window). Orthodox file managers are one of the longest running families of file managers, preceding graphical user interface-based types. Developers create applications that duplicate and extend the manager that was introduced by PathMinder and John Socha's famous Norton Commander for DOS. The concept dates to the mid-1980s—PathMinder was released in 1984, and Norton Commander version 1.0 was released in 1986. Despite the age of this concept, file managers based on Norton Commander are actively developed, and dozens of implementations exist for DOS, Unix, and Microsoft Windows. Nikolai Bezroukov publishes his own set of criteria for an OFM standard (version 1.2 dated June 1997).
- Double Commander - Double Commander is a cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.v
- https://github.com/j2969719/doublecmd-plugins - bunch of cr@ppy plugins(linux only) for double commander
- Midnight Commander - a classic visual file manager, licensed under GNU General Public License and therefore qualifies as Free Software. It's a feature rich full-screen text mode application that allows you to copy, move and delete files and whole directory trees, search for files and run commands in the subshell. Internal viewer and editor are included.Midnight Commander is based on versatile text interfaces, such as Ncurses or S-Lang, which allows it to work on a regular console, inside an X Window terminal, over SSH connections and all kinds of remote shells.This site hosts the new home of the Midnight Commander. The main project repository has been moved from Savannah to a new Git repository hosted on GitHub.
- https://github.com/neo-mc/neo-mc - A Midnight Commander fork with scripting and other features.
- fman - Dual-pane file manager for Mac, Windows and Linux
- muCommander - a lightweight, cross-platform file manager with a dual-pane interface. It runs on any operating system with Java support (Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, *BSD, Solaris...).
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/emelFM2 - an orthodox file manager which uses the GTK+ 2 widget toolkit for X11 on Unix-like operating systems. The default window layout is two filesystem directories in the left and right panes similar to that found in Norton Commander, a strip down the middle with commonly used commands to operate on files in one or both of these browsing panes, and a log which shows the output of commands at the bottom. This layout is configurable - for example, the panes can be reorganized so that the directory panes are stacked vertically or it can be set to have only one directory pane. The colors, icons, included functions and file descriptor columns are all configurable. emelFM2 ships with the function keys bound to the common commands which keybindings can be customized. emelFM2 can handle archives and mounted filesystems. Every feature, including user-created functions, can be used through the GUI or with keyboard shortcuts.
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/gentoo - gentoo borrows its basic look'n'feel from the classic Amiga file manager Directory OPUS
- Filerunner - a two pane file manager for Unix and Unix like systems. It is simple and efficient and has a built-in FTP and SFTP client. It also does a reasonable (and improving) job on Windows systems. New and improved from a FileRunner of long ago.
- Synkron - a simple Qt application that allows you to sync folders, for example a flash disk with a folder on your hard disk.
- Far Manager - a program for managing files and archives in Windows operating systems. Far Manager works in text mode and provides a simple and intuitive interface for performing most of the necessary actions: viewing files and directories; editing, copying and renaming files; and many other actions.
- Total Commander - a Shareware file manager for Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10, and Windows® 3.1.