Things and Stuff Wiki - an organically evolving knowledge base wiki containing topic outlines, descriptions and breadcrumbs, with links to sites, systems, software, manuals, organisations, people, articles, guides, slides, papers, books, comments, screencasts, webcasts, scratchpads, and more. table of contents for navigation on long pages. see About for further information. / et / em
Update: this is the old front page of the Edinburgh focused wiki, and is old. slow updates.
- 1 Guides
- 2 Community
- 3 Spaces & Places
- 4 Media
- 5 Events
- 6 History & culture
- 7 Business
- 8 Council
- 9 Travel
- 10 To sort
- Wikipedia: Edinburgh
- Wikivoyage: Edinburgh
- Edinburgh - Inspiring Capital - the official introduction to Edinburgh City Region. Users are invited to explore the website for information about visiting, living, investing and studying in Edinburgh City Region.
- EdinburghGuide.com has shown the way around Edinburgh, Scotland since 1998: from reviews galore from the Edinburgh's Festivals, to listings of great Edinburgh hotels and self-catering accommodation, from coverage of Edinburgh theatre, film in Edinburgh to events and activities for both Edinburgh visitors and residents alike. With our Edinburgh Guidebook you'll find essential sites to the Scottish capital whether you're looking for Edinburgh jobs or a good restaurant.
- VisitScotland: Edinburgh and the Lothians - the official consumer website of VisitScotland, Scotland’s national tourist board. Working closely with private businesses, public agencies and local authorities, we work to ensure that our visitors experience the very best of Scotland and that the country makes the most of its outstanding tourism assets and realises its potential.
- myEdinburgh - directory and events
- myvillage.com - directory, reviews
- Edinburgh Places - Residents of, and Visitors ( & potential visitors ) to, Edinburgh. This is not just a web site to thrill you with merely the various beauty spots of Edinburgh but, it is, most of all, a site to provide for your material needs whilst staying in Edinburgh, whether that is on a long, or short term basis. This site has been in existance since 1999 and I make no apology for the fact that these pages are constantly changing. Part of the joy of Edinburgh is that although the city is rapidly changing and mostly improving itself it somehow manages to remain constant and a place of peace & tranquility. I have tried to cover all aspects of life in Edinburgh and the things you might like or require while in Edinburgh.
See also Mapping
- Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site
- GeoHack - Edinburgh - Meta, many map links, most already listed above.
- The Frecycle Network Edinburgh
- EdSpace - The Access Point - notes on sources for free food for the homeless.
- The Meadows Share
- The Broughton-Leith Share
- The Cowgate-Grassmarket Share
- The Porty Share
- Roslin share
- The Slateford Share
- Shrub Co-op - Swap and Reuse Hub Edinburgh - the student-led social enterprise: reducing waste and educating Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Palette: swap shop - formerly Arts Complex, St. Margrets
- South Edinburgh Net
- Portobello Online Serving residents, ex-pats and visitors to Portobello
- SCOT wiki a wiki to facilitate information sharing and to promote sustainable consumption in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
- OurEd is the Edinburgh student community website, a collaboration between Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot Watt University, Jewel & Esk College, Queen Margaret University, Stevenson College Edinburgh and the University of Edinburgh. OurEd is an online resource for students interested in building a thriving, smiling community in the city of Edinburgh. Here you can find information on everything health, social justice, environment and development related: events, courses, societies, volunteering, internships, and more.
- Volunteer Centre Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Voluntary Organisations' Council
- Edinburgh Compact
- BTCV Edinburgh
- Xchange Scotland - Volunteer in Scotland &; Around The World
Arts and media
- Future Shorts Edinburgh - UK homepage, Facebook
- EMPS :: Edinburgh Movie Production Society - Facebook
- Pilton Video - Edinburgh community video assistance
- Beltane Fire Society
- Edinburgh Samba School - community carnival performance group which runs courses in Brazilian drumming and dance
- Imaginate Promoting and developing performing arts for children and young people in Scotland
- edinburghcontemporary.org provides you with information on current exhibitions, opportunities and professional practice in Edinburgh.
- Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop
- dorkbot alba people doing strange things with electricity - Facebook
- Tech Meetup Edinburgh - Forum, Facebook, Twitter
- Edinburgh Cafe Scientifique - Facebook, International homepage
- codebloc - edinburgh programming fringe
- Refresh Edinburgh (web development) - Facebook, Twitter
- The Edinburgh Linux Users Group Meets every first Thursday of the month
- Institution of Engineering and Technology: Scotland South East
- MoMoEdinburgh Mobile Monday Edinburgh! An informal gathering of folks interested in anything and everything to do with mobile technology and services
- Edinburgh Community Backgreens Association - Facebook
- Edinburgh Community Gardening Activists blog
- Edinburgh Guerilla Gardeners! (inactive?)
Activities & sport
- Edinburgh Tango Society - Facebook
- Perfidious Albion, Edinburgh Uni's Medieval Re-enactment Soc (higher education students/staff only)
- the Scottish Intrepid Adventurers & chillout group - Facebook
- Edinburgh Kayak Club - Facebook
- Edinburgh Ski Club - Facebook
- Great Run - Facebook
- Edinburgh Parkrun - Facebook - weekly free 5km timed run
- Scotlands biggest waterfight!
- Come play rounders in Edinburgh..
- Crounders Edinburgh
- The Edinburgh Ball-Ball Club
- Open Roleplaying Community. Web portal to enable gamers to find a roleplaying game in Edinburgh.
- AdvoCard - a service user-led, independent advocacy organisation. Our services are primarily for people with experience of mental ill-health in Edinburgh. We provide opportunities for people to participate more effectively in decisions that affect all aspects of their lives.
- te Pooka Big Red Door has also become an occasional licenced venue for all kinds of circus-based activity and performance.
Spaces & Places
- Friends of the Meadows and Bruntsfield Links
- Friends of the Hermitage of Braid and Blackford Hill
- Braidburn Valley Park, Edinburgh
- Friends of Corstorphine Hill
- The Craiglockhart Woods Group
- Friends of Dalmeny Street Park
- Ferry Glen
- Friends of the Figgate Park
- Friends of King George V and Scotland Yard
- Friends of Harrison Park
- Friends of the Hermitage of Braid & Blackford Hill
- Friends of Hillside and Calton Area
- Friends of Hopetoun Crescent Garden
- Friends of Inverleith Park
- Friends of Montgomery Street Park
- Friends of the Pentlands, Pentland Hills Regional Park
- Royal Botanical Garden Edinburgh - events
- Cyrenians Farm A small community enterprise located just outside Edinburgh.
- The Federation of Edinburgh and District Allotments and Gardens Associations
- Scottish Allotments and Gardens Society
previous Forest groups;
- Old Hat Books Radical book, zine and hat library in Edinburgh
- Stitch n bitch in the Forest - Crochet Wonderland
- LGBT Health & Wellbeing Centre - Facebook, Twitter
- Crew 2000 Mind altering information, advice and support - Twitter
- 6VT Youth Cafe - Running for over 14 years.
- North Edinburgh community cafe (inactive?)
- Out of the Blue Provides studio and production space for Edinburgh's cultural community.
- Venchie Children and young people's project, situated in Craigmillar
- http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/libraries/ Edinburgh Libraries]
- https://prism.talis.com/edinburgh/login - renew/reserve books
Arts & culture
- National Galleries of Scotland - Free galleries of fine and modern art.
- National Museum of Scotland
- Museums and Galleries Edinburgh Council Guide
- Scottish Storytelling Centre
- Scottish Poetery Library - Facebook
Forest Café as above and elsewhere, in Tollcross.
- Café Renroc - 91 Montgomery Street, New Town. Neighbour of Nevo Complementary Health Studio, Café Renroc is a detoxifying refresher of a café. Expect herbal teas, freshly squeezed or blended fruit juices and plenty of tasty filled ciabatta or foccaccia breads, quiches and - somewhat unexpectedly, but yummy nonetheless - stromboli. And if the detox really isn't for you, Renroc is fully licensed. Why's it called Renroc? Cos it's on the corner! Geddit?
- Caffe Lucano is a real family affair. The values of brother and sister proprietors, Antonello and Elisa Esposito, are reflected in everything from the care of our cooking to the warmth of our welcome.
Hostels, hotels, etc
- Scottish Youth Hostels Association
- Budget Accommodation in Central Edinburgh Sherwood guest house with other places info
Local and Scottish news
- Edinburgh Outlook News from your Local Council
- Edinburgh Evening News, Facebook, Twitter
- North Edinburgh News
- Edinburgh Sucks! A reportage. How the politicians and officials are screwing our city. - Twitter
- Pilton Sucks You mean it is THIS bad?
- The Edinburgh Blog Life in Edinburgh: Scotland’s capital city - Twitter
- Edinburgh Day By Day A Personal View of a Beautiful City
- History of Leith Written by John Arthur, a local historian from Leith.
- Jake's Progress The adventures of a lurcher in the Scottish capital
- Dear Scotland Notes on Scottish music, sport and the life - Twitter
- Edinburgh Visitor's Blog
- velocity-m An armchair expeditionary force.
- The Edinburgh Rock Network News and opinions from the Edinburgh music scene.
- Southside & Newington Newsblog Cameron Rose, Councillor for Southside/Newington, Edinburgh - Conservative
- The Skinny - Facebook, Twitter
- The Leither - Twitter
- one magazine
- The Journal
- EUSci Magazine
- Edinburgh Outlook News from your Local Council
Radio & podcasts
- Reading Room Podcasts from the Scottish Poetry Library
- TPN: The Edinburgh Fringe Show Podcasts from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- Craft Fairs in Edinburgh
- What is happening in edinburgh this weekend that's cool?
- theoracle.co.uk what's on, where and when
- edinburgh.gov.uk event listings
- Simple Satellite Tracking from Spaceweather.com - Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Clubbing Community Forum - Facebook
- Capital Punishment Edinburgh's underground music community
- Update Listing of marginal, weird and experimental music events
- Edinburgh Uni: Institute for Music in Human and Social Development
- Edinburgh Peoples Festival - Songs of the People Sat 15th August 7.30pm
History & culture
- Edinburgh World Heritage
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Public Monument and Sculpture Association National Recording Project
- In Trust for Scotland - "A grouping of concerned current members of the National Trust for Scotland."
- NakedScotland.org.uk - Naturism, nudism and clothes-free opportunities in and around Scotland
- Edinburgh's Dark Side
- Old and New Edinburgh 1880s periodical about Edinburgh
- British Council: Scotland Works with organisations in Scotland, the UK and internationally to connect Scotland and the world through arts, education, science and governance.
- Scottish Enterprise We help ambitious businesses in Scotland to grow and become more successful.
- Business Gateway Practical help, advice and support
for new and growing businesses in Scotland
- UsefulStudents.com is a job site where only students can apply for jobs.
- Scottish Development International Formed in 2001 in order to attract direct foreign investment to Scotland and provide information about doing business in Scotland.
- Firstport We work to identify, advise, connect, encourage and seed fund new start social entrepreneurs.
- Senscot For social entrepreneurs in Scotland
- Scotland UnLtd supports inspirational social entrepreneurs
- The Melting Pot stimulates and supports social innovation. We provide dynamic resources for social change makers. Our spaces and services enable people to work, meet, connect, learn, and hold events – all to make the world a better place.
- The New Leaf Co-op - Edinburgh's local, unpackaged, scoop your own, nut-grinding, organic, worker-run box of delights!
- 5pm restaurant search - gah, post rather than get >:[
- allmediascotland - media & PR opportunities
- http://www.williamsplumbingedinburgh.co.uk/ - via pockets
See also Politics#Edinburgh
- tellmescotland.gov.uk - Public information notices for City of Edinburgh
- FixMyStreet Report, view, or discuss local problems (like graffiti, fly tipping, broken paving slabs, or street lighting)
- Problems with stair lighting form (edinburgh.gov.uk)
- Sort It Useful information on how you can Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your household waste.
- recyclelocal If you don't want it, recycle it, locally
- Re:use 'Exchange' Sites
- Old Dalkeith Road CRC, Craigmillar EH16 4TB
- 8am - 7.30pm Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm Saturday & Sunday
- Fillyside Road CRC, Seafield EH7 6RD
- 8am - 7.30pm Monday - Friday. 8am - 6pm Saturday & Sunday. Due to staffing difficulties, the commercial side of Seafield Community Recycling Centre will be closed from noon - 1pm until further no...
- Bankhead Avenue CRC, Sighthill EH11 4EA
- 8am - 7.30pm Monday - Friday. 8am - 6pm Saturday & Sunday
- Spokes The Lothian Cycle Campaign
- CyclingEdinburgh.info A personal site to highlight cycling activities and possibilities in and around Edinburgh
- ChangingPace Promoting cycling, walking and public transport use in Edinburgh Scotland.
- TryCycling In Edinburgh A campaign to encourage and support more people to ride bicycles in Edinburgh]
- Edinburgh 20 Milers Come with us and explore Edinburgh's cycle paths at an easy pace.
- Edinburgh Fixed Gear Bringing together those of us who enjoy fixed gear cycling and urban track bike culture in Edinburgh
- Edinburgh RC One of the biggest and most successful cycling clubs in the UK
- Musselburgh Roads Cycling Club One of the largest and most successful cycle racing clubs in Scotland
- Craigmillar Cycles
- The Mansion Bike Club A Project at Gracemount Youth & Community Centre, Edinburgh, Scotland
- edinburghpaths.info This site has information about a few of the many walking and cycling routes in Edinburgh.
- CycleStreets Cycling intelligence for Edinburgh
- EveryTrail Cycling trails in and around Edinburgh
- The Bike Station The Bike Station is Edinburgh's bicycle recycling and cycling promotion charity. We repair unwanted bikes and put them back on the road.
- Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative
- The Bicycle Works
- Biketrax Edinburgh
- Leith Cycle Co
- Alpine Bikes
- The Bike Chain
- Macdonald Cycles
- Blackhall Cycles
- Bicycle Repair Man
- Velo Ecosse
- Bains Bicycles
- Eastside Bikes
- Cycle Scotland Scottish Cycle Safaris, Wilderness Tours & Bike Rentals
- Traveline Scotland Public transport information