Things and Stuff Wiki - an organically evolving personal wiki knowledge base with a totally on-the-fly taxonomy containing topic outlines, descriptions and breadcrumbs, with links to sites, systems, software, manuals, organisations, people, articles, guides, slides, papers, books, comments, screencasts, webcasts, scratchpads and more. use the Table of Contents to navigate and the Small-ToC / Tiny-TOC header links on longer pages. probably not that mobile friendly atm. i am milk on freenode, give me a pm for feedback, or see About for login and further information. / et / em
still hashing about.
- 1 General
- 2 Project
- 3 Content
- 4 Design
- 5 Testing
- 6 Administration
- 7 Marketing
- 8 Social
- 9 HCI
- 10 Web design
- 11 Usability
- 12 Social
- 13 Other
- Eames: Design is a Method of Action 
- Dieter Rams: ten principles for good design
- Paul Rand: Thoughts on Design
- A Crash Course in Information & Visual Design - September 29 2012
- https://medium.com/facebook-design/critique-is-an-important-part-of-any-design-process-whether-you-work-as-part-of-a-team-or-solo-ef3dcb299ce3 
- http://emeeks.github.io/gestaltdataviz/section1.html 
Design and brand guides
- UX Bookmark: A huge list of Style Guides and UI Guidelines
- http://alistapart.com/article/creating-style-guides 
- Government Digital Service - Design Principles
- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7219795 - yelp
- http://www.openculture.com/2016/03/3900-pages-of-paul-klees-personal-notebooks-are-now-online.html 
- Site type and size
- Basic info and description
- Additional content
- Separate pages and areas
- Custom functionality
- Brand and style
- Colour scheme
Cloud Web Design
- Business Card, Articles, Blogging, Image Galleries, etc.
- WordPress.com, Tumblr.com, etc.
- From £400.
- Plus costs (£40/yr for theme & ad-free, plus domain).
Web Site Design and Build
- Self-hosted Drupal site with bespoke configuration and theme
- Using process estimation tools vs. budget
- From £650 (5 days), at £130 a day
- SSL cert. extra
Hosting and maintenance
- £15/mth for hosting, plus security upgrades
Support, Training, Consultancy £25/hr for additional backend or administration support, or £100 for a full day consultation.
Cloud site setup and custom theme, from £400, or a full site with bespoke backend and custom theme, starting at £650.
- Define UX+IA to fit context of content and users
- What kinds of users? What do they want to see? (User story?)
- Create/brainstorm a sitemap outline/diagram of pages(/addresses)
- What are the primary pages/areas of the site?
- What info to display on each of these for their users?
- What content needs to be written?
- What elements (content areas, etc.) go on each page?
- Page (as a part of the site as a whole)
- Primary navigation always available
- Secondary area navigation depends on area (or subarea) context
- Primary page info/content
- Secondary blocks of info/content
- Wireframe layout for mobile first and desktop (and then tablet)
- How can the project brand differ yet retain continuity in each area its pages?
Guides and examples
- Style Tiles are a design deliverable consisting of fonts, colors and interface elements that communicate the essence of a visual brand for the web. They help form a common visual language between the designers and the stakeholders and provide a catalyst for discussions around the preferences and goals of the client.
- styletil.es has good ideas but a lack of templates..
- Style Tiles and How They Work - March 27, 2012
- http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/style-tiles-4132333 The web designer's guide to style tiles]
- Our New Responsive Design Deliverable: The Style Prototype
- The Nine Pillars of Successful Web Teams - July 9, 2003
- The Web Design Process Everyone Should Follow - o rly?, Dec 16th 2010
- Simple Usability/UX Checklist- March 29th, 2011
- Hacking: Always Design the UX First - June 4th, 2012
Mockups and Stencils
- http://kaioa.com/node/94 - inkscape
- http://www.fuelyourinterface.com/free-web-ui-wireframe-kit/ - psd
- http://www.dragnet.se/webbdesign/websitewireframes.html - fireworks
- http://www.uistencils.com/ - rl, $
- Mockingbird - customisable grids(!), can't hide sidebar
- http://placeit.breezi.com/ - screenshots in rl
- Webfonts for headings, paragraphs, navigation, etc. (optimised via Font Squirrel)
- Scale and vertical rhythm baseline (proportions for font-size and line-height)
- Visual hierarchy
- Main and section colour palette (CSS)
- And other creative magick
- Check in different browsers
- Quick; Ask folk for remote feedback
- Detailed; Get folk to browse it, quietly watch over their shoulder, tell them to access certain info, ask them to vocalise all thoughts, write down their actions and issues, communicate more, refine design, implement
- Migrate to new site
- Full migration of data and users
- Check plugins and settings are alligned
- hosting or provision
- initalise project
- create resources
- fill with content
- version control and backup
See also Computing#History
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law - a model of human movement primarily used in human–computer interaction and ergonomics that predicts that the time required to rapidly move to a target area is a function of the distance to the target and the size of the target. Fitts's law is used to model the act of pointing, either by physically touching an object with a hand or finger, or virtually, by pointing to an object on a computer monitor using a pointing device. It was proposed by Paul Fitts in 1954.
- http://www.1up.com/news/playstation-1-design - C-f buttons
- http://weavora.com/blog/2012/10/21/web-design-trends-we-love/ 
- http://bounceapp.com - critique a page
- http://www.spurapp.com/ - alternate views for design considerations
- http://designmodo.github.com/Flat-UI/ - templates
- http://twentyoheight.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/this-is-a-motherfucking-website-and-its-fucking-not-completely-perfect/ 
- Words - "This is a web page."
- Usability First - We want to provide valuable information about usability for anyone interested in the design of software or websites, from beginners to experts, in academia or in industry.
- useit.com: Alertbox - Jakob Nielsen's Current Issues in Web Usability articles
- Accessites.org - We aim to prove that accessible, usable web sites built with universality and standards in mind need not be boring. We will show you artfully crafted sites made by some of today’s most progressive web developers.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_foraging - applies the ideas from optimal foraging theory to understand how human users search for information, based on the assumption that, when searching for information, humans use "built-in" foraging mechanisms that evolved to help our animal ancestors find food
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice_architecture - describes the way in which decisions may (and can) be influenced by how the choices are presented (in order to influence the outcome)
- Userim - Usability Checklist
- UI-Patterns.com is the work of Anders Toxboe – a Danish web developer seeking to categorize what has before seemed like ad hoc approaches to developing web applications.
- Interaction Design Pattern Library - Welie.com
User Experience (UX)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience - involves a person's behaviors, attitudes, and emotions about using a particular product, system or service. User experience includes the practical, experiential, affective, meaningful and valuable aspects of human-computer interaction and product ownership
- UX Crash Course: 31 Fundamentals 
- UX for the masses - These articles are written by Neil Turner - A UK based UX designer. I like to share, discuss and comment on UX ideas, tips, insights and practices that everyone can use to help design a better user experience for all.
- PDF: The User Experience Guide Book For Product Managers
- UX Archive - mobile UX pattern examples
- 25 Excellent Usability/UX Articles and Resources
- Ask HN: Recommendations for learning and improving UX/UI skills?
- Ask HN: What do you wish you knew about UI/UX design?
- UX Movement - a progressive user experience blog devoted to promoting usable and intuitive user interface design. We publish practical and insightful articles that show designers better and innovative ways to design for their users.
- UX Magazine is a central, one-stop resource for everything related to user experience. We provide a steady stream of current, informative, and credible information about UX and related fields to enhance the professional and creative lives of UX practitioners and those exploring the field.
- UX Strategy: The Heart of User-Centered Design
- Expanded user journey maps: combining several UX deliverables into one useful document
See also ontology in general.
- Information Architecture - The importance of having a well-structured website comes from how information and data is related to each other. The thorough planning and gathering of ideas to form a structured and meaningful arrangement of this data is Information Architecture.
- So what’s an Information Architect?
- study of information structure for a defined purpose
- define the architecture of content relative to database construction and user-interaction
- organize and qualify the appropriate use of metadata schemas, controlled vocabularies, folksonomies, ontologies etc.
- articulate and produce meaningful information visualizations
- help to structure information for easy digestion in digital applications
- UX Myths collects the most frequent user experience misconceptions and explains why they don't hold true. And you don't have to take our word for it, we'll show you a lot of research findings and articles by design and usability gurus.
- Design patterns search
- Pagination 101 
- What the hell does ≡ do, anyway?
- The Billion Dollar Mind Trick: An Intro to Triggers
- http://lmjabreu.com/post/why-and-how-to-avoid-hamburger-menus/ 
- Skeumorphism & Storytelling - "An interface that is not only easy to use, but fun to use, engages the user and creates an experience where obstacles are easier to overcome, and thus an experience where the product is easier and more effortless to use. Done right, skeuomorphism can retain the simplicity and ease of use of an interface while empowering users to act."
- Can We Please Move Past Apple’s Silly, Faux-Real UIs?
- http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5330998 - large menus, field focus, etc
- UICloud - search ui examples
GUI and HCI
slashdot, moderationm, metamoderation, ontology, etc...
See also Search#SEO.2C_SEM.2C_SMO
- http://jtnimoy.net/?q=178 - tron