Aspects of personal state to reflect and reflex on:
- food / meals
This is a mish-mash routine. WIP.
10 minutes a stage, or whatever.
The practice doesn't have to be all stages.
120 minutes for all stages.
60 minutes for breath + body + feelings + emotions + forgiveness and/or metta + breath.
40 minutes for breath + forgiveness + metta + breath.
30 minutes for breath + forgiveness or metta + breath.
Decide your intention for the meditation before starting it.
Don't hold on to your object of meditation too tightly or too loosely.
- find a secluded place
- become ardent, situationally aware and mindful
- take some time to listen to and move your body before sitting down
- consider sitting with back support or in a chair or another posture
- mindfulness is to be established well for the sake of knowledge and vision (insight)
- with experience of the stages both internally and externally, separately then together
- being mindful of breath, slowing it and then letting go
- body scan, a slow and deep listening to the sensations of the body
- recognise the parts and materials the body is made of, as well as those of other bodies
- recognise and let go of pleasant, painful and neutral feelings valences
- recognise and let go of carnal and/or spiritual feelings
- recognise if there is lust or not , anger or not, delusion or not
- recognise if emotions are concentrated or scattered, exalted or not, surpassed or not
- recognise if there is peace, tranquillity or liberation
- let go
- recognise and move away from sensory desire, anger and ill will, sloth and apathy, restlessness and remorse, and doubt
- recognise and develop mindfulness, discernment, energy, joy, tranquillity, absorption and equanimity
- recognise how all these states come to be, how they can be abandoned, and how they can be avoided in future
- let go
- "forgive me, I forgive you, I forgive myself."
Metta / loving kindness
- love, amity, sympathy, friendliness, active interest in others
- active love
- repeat which ever mantra is easiest.
- then try the second easiest. if it's too hard, go back to the easiest and repeat.
- "may all beings be happy, may all beings be safe, may all beings realise liberation."
- "may I be happy and free from suffering."
- "may [a loved one] be happy and free from suffering."
- "may [a neutral person] be happy and free from suffering."
- "may [a disliked person] be happy and free from suffering."
Compassion / karuna
- wise empathy
- sympathy for another being’s sorrows
- preventive love
- "if I were given one thousand hands and eyes right this instant, then I will work towards the benefit and happiness of all living beings." (Nīlakaṇṭha Dhāraṇī / Great Compassion Mantra)
Compersion / mudita
- sympathy in other's welfare / joy
- appreciative, congratulatory & benevolent attitude
- disinterested love
- "i have joy in the joy of [another]" (dyad)
- "i have joy in the joy of [two others]" (triad)
- "i have joy in the joy of [group]" (network)
- "i have joy in the joy of [all beings]"
Equanimity / upekkha
- allow equanimity, to be aware of and accept reality as it is, without craving or aversion
- aware and unaffected, non-reactive, cool
- peace and acceptance
- like a reed in the wind
- to finish