- 1 Softsynths
- 1.1 ZynAddSubFX
- 1.2 Yoshimi
- 1.3 Helm
- 1.4 Sorcer
- 1.5 Surge
- 1.6 Crazynth
- 1.7 sfxr
- 1.8 Bfxr
- 1.9 Jfxr
- 1.10 rogue
- 1.11 Bristol Collection
- 1.12 Digits
- 1.13 nekobee / Nekobi
- 1.14 Minaton
- 1.15 triceratops
- 1.16 WhySynth
- 1.17 Wolpertinger
- 1.18 Add64
- 1.19 DIN Is Noise
- 1.20 NoiseScaper
- 1.21 PHASEX
- 1.22 amsynth
- 1.23 Sineshaper
- 1.24 Mx44
- 1.25 Newtonator
- 1.26 Obxd
- 1.27 OB-Xd
- 1.28 synthv1
- 1.29 padthv1
- 1.30 rt_lpc
- 1.31 SO-404 / SO-KL5 / SO-666
- 1.32 Synister
- 1.33 Peggy 2000
- 1.34 Paraphrasis
- 1.35 Vex
- 1.36 Xsynth
- 1.37 RTSynth
- 1.38 Wsynth
- 1.39 slat
- 1.40 DX-10 / JX-10
- 1.41 WatSyn
- 1.42 TAL Noisemaker
- 1.43 Xiph
- 1.44 RaffoSynth
- 1.45 Minicomputer
- 1.46 Tunefish
- 1.47 Sprike
- 1.48 Mr. Alias 2
- 1.49 Digits
- 1.50 reSID
- 1.51 Rave Generator VST
- 1.52 Happychords
- 1.53 Qin
- 1.54 lv2_guitar
- 1.55 CT-Synth
- 1.56 Psychosynth
- 1.57 GuitarSynth
- 1.58 bytes
- 1.59 reasonablesynth.lv2
- 1.60 fastbreeder
- 1.61 munt
- 1.62 andes
- 1.63 GuitarSynth-DPF
- 1.64 Diodow
- 1.65 Tranzistow
- 1.66 super_welle
- 1.67 Sigmatizm
- 1.68 StkDekrispatorSynthesizer
- 1.69 jackpunkconsole
- 1.70 punk-console.lv2
- 1.71 Xhip Follower
- 1.72 wigwamjam
- 1.73 Xephys
- 1.74 Cloud Generator
- 1.75 ZamSynth
- 1.76 Cadmium
- 1.77 AirSynth
- 1.78 Xmonk.lv2
- 1.79 Signal Generator
- 1.80 Frequency modulation
- 1.81 Chiptune
- 1.82 Organ
- 1.83 Windows VST
- 1.83.1 SQ8L
- 1.83.2 Synth1
- 1.83.3 Bleep
- 1.83.4 u-he Zebralette
- 1.83.5 u-he Podolski
- 1.83.6 u-he TyrellN6
- 1.83.7 u-he Hive
- 1.83.8 u-he Triple Cheese
- 1.83.9 deputy Mark II
- 1.83.10 Charlatan
- 1.83.11 Venom VB-303
- 1.83.12 Caustic 3
- 1.83.13 Defiant WT
- 1.83.14 metamorph
- 1.83.15 GalaXynth
- 1.83.16 Scylla
- 1.83.17 Oatmeal
- 1.83.18 X11
- 1.83.19 Harmony Box
- 1.83.20 basic65
- 1.83.21 Preparation P
- 1.83.22 SmallQoo
- 1.83.23 Metatron
- 1.83.24 Photon
- 1.83.25 Subconscious
- 1.83.26 ProtoPSG psg-005
- 1.83.27 NoteGraphica
- 1.83.28 blooo
- 1.83.29 scrooo
- 1.83.30 qyooo
- 1.83.31 Ragnarök
- 1.83.32 Nabla
- 1.83.33 Deputy
- 1.83.34 Kern
- 1.83.35 Mono/Fury
- 1.83.36 ModulAir
- 1.83.37 Formant Classic Advanced
- 1.83.38 TS-Substance
- 1.83.39 TW-PitchShop
- 1.83.40 TW-WhiteWidow
- 1.83.41 TW-PVM Special
- 1.83.42 Eclipsis
- 1.83.43 U.F.O. ZE
- 1.83.44 Charlatan
- 1.83.45 The Viking
- 1.83.46 2032
- 1.83.47 Transformer
- 1.83.48 Mika Micro
- 1.83.49 OwlBass
- 1.83.50 ODOsynths archive
- 1.83.51 Dream 64
- 1.83.52 Harsh Digital Nose
- 1.83.53 Chip32
- 1.83.54 DvnSfxMaker
- 1.83.55 SANA 8BIT VST
- 1.83.56 GSinth
- 1.83.57 GSinth2
- 1.83.58 Little Spiral Generator
- 1.83.59 Rhythm and Pitch Generator
- 1.83.60 MetaSynth
- 1.84 Command-line
- 1.85 WebSynths
- 1.86 Android
- 1.87 DOS
- 1.88 Various
- 1.89 Modelled instruments
See also Synthesis#Modular softsynths
- The Best Free Synths - big list, various platforms
- ZynAddSubFX is a open source software synthesizer capable of making a countless number of instruments, from some common heard from expensive hardware to interesting sounds that you'll boost to an amazing universe of sounds.
- YouTube: UV#01 ZynAddSubFX Modulation Madness
- YouTube: UV#02 Making a Reese Bass in ZynAddSubFX
- YouTube: UV#03 Synthesizing a String Pad with ZynAddSubFX
- YouTube: UV#04 Making a Water Stream SFX in ZynAddSubFX
- YouTube: UV#19 Synthesizing an FM Growl Bass with Zyn-Fusion and Ardour using multiband processing
- YouTube: QR#01 Scratched Vinyl
- YouTube: How to use Zyn-Fusion's Macro Learn in Ardour 5
- zyn - extract synth engines from ZynAddSubFX and pack them in LV2 plugin format. Resulting plugins are heavily based on work made by Nasca Octavian Paul. If you like the amazing sounds these plugins generate you should thank Paul for this. Project goals: Port ZynAddSubFX synth engines to LV2, Fix some inherit issues preventing hard-realtime mode of operation, causing clicks sometimes (memory allocation/sleep in audio process context), Make synth engines reusable in source form, Make all synth engines parameters controlable on the fly (as opposed to original "parameter change takes effect on next note on" strategy), Fix bugs found and try to propagate fixes to ZynAddSubFX
- https://github.com/ventosus/zyn_ext_gui - a toolkit agnostic LV2 UI for ZynAddSubFx 2.5.3. This gives you an LV2 UI even if ZynAddSubFx has been linked to FLTK and does not provide an LV2 UI of its own.
- https://github.com/pdesaulniers/zyn-menu - Backup of a quick and dirty ZynAddSubFX presets browser for device w/ touchscreen
- https://github.com/mruby-zest/mruby-zest-build - the source of the Zyn-Fusion user interface.
- https://github.com/wtrsltnk/zynlab - Clone of ZynAddSubFX 2.44 to test some new ui ideas
- Yoshimi - software synthesizer for Linux, a "fork" of ZynAddSubFX. ZynAddSubFX was founded by Nasca Octavian Paul and continued by many others; several years later, Yoshimi was founded by our dear friend, the late Cal, at a time when ZynAddSubFX showed amazing promise but did not satisfy his needs and ours. If you enjoy profound and powerful tonality with your Linux, please do try Yoshimi, we think you will feel the love! The two projects are now in wonderfully active, but different, development.
- YouTube: HELM Synth
- Sorcer is a polyphonic wavetable synth LV2 plugin. Its sonic fingerprint is one of harsh modulated sub-bass driven walls of sound. Two morphing wavetable oscillators and one sine oscillator provide the generation routines. The LFO can be mapped to wavetable modulation as well as filter cutoff. An ADSR allows for shaping the resulting sound, while a master volume finishes the signal chain. Easily creating a variety of dubstep basslines and harsh pad sounds.
- Surge - an Open Source Digital Synthesizer, originally written and sold as a commercial product by @kurasu/Claes Johanson at vember audio. In September of 2018, Claes released a partially completed version of Surge 1.6 under GPL3, and a group of developers have been improving it since. 
- https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge-fx - Surge FX as a separate plugin, built with JUCE.
- YouTube: Surge FREE Synthesizer Plugin Pad Sounds | The Plugin Minute - 2m, SYNTH ANATOMY
- YouTube: Vember Audio Surge Is Now Free & Open Source - 21m, SadowickProduction
- YouTube: Free VST - Surge Synthesizer plugin - 7m, HRS Courses
- YouTube: Surge Free VSTi: Free synth, basic sound design - 9m, J Riley Hill
- YouTube: "Acid sound thing"... - 3m, Palle Svensson
- YouTube: Squelchy watery trancey sound design breakfast eating while speaking - 8m, Palle Svensson
- YouTube: neurobass surge fl studio - 10m, donVanjub
- YouTube: -quick tip- Bingo Players 'RATTLE' signature synth - 15s
- YouTube: Free VST - Surge Synth (Windows 64bit .exe) - preset demos,7m, vstplanet.com
- YouTube: surge synthesizer - preset demos, 9m, UPROAR 24
- YouTube: Surge VST - Modified presets & custom patches - 11m, roboticrealm
- YouTube: Surge VST - modified presets part II - 8m, roboticrealm
- YouTube: 🎼 Surge || Free VST Plugin || Hybrid Synthesiser 🎼 - 6m
- YouTube: Vember Audio Surge Residue Soundset - 3m, Gokosoul Records
- YouTube: rockn_out_with_surge-osc_122 - 4m, All sounds and effects provided by 25 instances of Surge Synthesizer
- YouTube: Surge VFX Patch - YouTube - 12m, older Surge!
- YouTube: Surge psytrance sounds - FM - 19m, Richard Cooper
- YouTube: EDM - Pretty Hearts - song made with Surge
- YouTube: Surge: A Powerful Open Source Wavetable / FM Synth - YouTube - 51m, DjangoZa
- YouTube: Surge Digital Synth VST Intro + Walkthrough + Demo - 1h27m, Benedict Roff-Marsh
- Crazynth - What is able to do? Generate weird sounds on random generated basis. Modulate a sine-like wave to get strange outputs. Stereo outputs (a 5.1 surround version is ready, but still to be released).
- sfxr - a little tool made in connection with the 10th Ludum Dare competition held in December 2007 to provide a simple means of getting basic sound effects into a game. The idea was that they could just hit a few buttons in this application and get some largely randomized effects that were custom in the sense that the user could accept/reject each proposed sound. It turned out to work rather well and a lot of the entrants used it, which is cool.
- sfxr-dssi - a port of the famous sound effect generator sfxr. sfxr-dssi is a very simple but functional example of the use of libwhy.
- Bfxr - an elaboration of the glorious Sfxr, the program of choice for many people looking to make sound effects for computer games. Bfxr has moved in the direction of increased complexity and range of expression. All the buttons that you know and love are here, but there are some new things as well: 5 new waveforms : triangle, breaker, tan, whistle, and pink noise. 3 new filters : compression, harmonics, and bitcrusher. Ability to lock parameters during mutation/randomization. Expanded pitch-jumping abilities - good for arpeggiation effects. Visualisation, Mixer, Keeps your sounds and mixes in persistant lists. Can reverse synths. Ability to link directly to sounds.
- Jfxr - a browser-based tool to generate sound effects, for example for use in games. It was inspired by bfxr, but aims to be more powerful and more intuitive to use. 
- rogue - multimode softsynth with LV2 interface, 4 oscillators with Virtual Analog, Phase Distortion, FM and other waveforms, PWM, PM, Sync, RM and AM modulation, 2 filters with Biquad, Moog and SVF style modes, 4 AHDSR envelopes with customizable curve
4 LFOs, 20 Modulation matrix slots, Effects: Chorus, Phaser, Delay and Reverb, Qt4 based UI
- Bristol Synthesiser Emulations on Linux - or Bristol is an emulation package for a number of different 'classic' synthesisers including additive and subtractive and a few organs. The application consists of the engine, which is called bristol, and its own GUI library called brighton that represents all the emulations. There are currently twenty something different emulations, each does sound different although the author maintains that the quality and accuracy of each emulation is subjective. One of the main reasons for putting together this site (host by Sourceforge which provides the rest of the services required by bristol) is to depict all the different emulations.
- monoBristol - Gui for Bristol Synthesiser
- Digits VSTi is here! Digits is a phase distortion synthesizer inspired by Casio's CZ series but takes that form of synthesis to the limit. Create warm pads, glitchy sounds, dirty basses, filthy sweeps, screaming leads, and anything in-between. The interface is minimal and designed to enable the user to create sounds from scratch in record time! And, if you're too busy for that, it comes with 51 lush presets that run the gamut from pads to stabs, leads and basses. Multi-platform VST
nekobee / Nekobi
- nekobee - A softsynth recreation of a classic single-oscillator bass monosynth. DSSI.
- https://github.com/DISTRHO/Nekobi - a DPF'ied build of nekobee, allowing LV2 and VST builds of the plugin
- Minaton - LV2 plugin - A monophonic, subtractive, beefy analogue style bass and lead synth.
- triceratops - A polyphonic virtual analogue synthesizer plugin.
- WhySynth - a versatile softsynth which operates as a plugin for the DSSI Soft Synth Interface. A brief list of features: 4 oscillators, 2 filters, 3 LFOs, and 5 envelope generators per voice. 11 oscillator modes: minBLEP, wavecycle, chorused wavecycle, asynchronous granular, three FM modes, waveshaper, noise, PADsynth, and phase distortion. 10 filter modes. flexible modulation and mixdown options, plus effects.
- Wolpertinger - an realtime opensource softsynth for linux, created by Johannes Kroll. From the ReadMe file: "Wolpertinger is a subtractive, antialiased software synthesizer. Sound is generated by a Saw/Rect/Triangle wave generator and then filtered through a bandpass filter whose center frequency "bounces" around the frequency of the playing notes."
- Add64 is an additive synthesizer. It is based on QT and uses the JACK Audio Connection Kit for platform independent audio/midi I/O. The GUI interface departs from the traditional knobs-and-buttons approach by using a spectral graph to permit the oscillators and related parameters to be modified.
DIN Is Noise
- DIN (DIN Is Noise) - a software musical instrument, uses the computer mouse to pick both the pitch (by moving horizontally) and the volume (by moving vertically) of a sound from an on-screen keyboard that displays the notes of the current scale and a number of microtones in-between. Bezier curves, FM and AM and control other parameters like stereo gater patterns, Delay feedback & volume patterns and Compressor patterns. Users can also create an unlimited number of drones pitched on any microtone and edit them in real-time.
- https://dinisnoise.org/download - evaluation binaries for Windows/Mac, full source available to compile for Linux!
- https://dinisnoise.org/?what=docs - with hotkey information
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/noisescaper/ - Synthesizer and sound generator based on the sounds of strange attractors (Lorenz and Roessler). Can create unusual industrial sounds for the experimentalists out there.
- https://github.com/williamweston/phasex - [P]hase [H]armonic [A]dvanced [S]ynthesis [EX]periment - an experimental MIDI softsynth for Linux/ALSA/JACK with a synth engine built around flexible phase modulation and flexible oscillator/LFO sources. Modulations include AM, FM, offset PM, and wave select. PHASEX comes equipped with multiple filter types and modes, a stereo crossover delay and chorus with phaser, ADSR envelopes for both amplifier and filter, realtime audio input processing capabilities, and more. Inspirations come from a variety of analogue and early digital MIDI synthesizers from the '80s and '90s.
- amsynth - an analog modelling (a.k.a virtual analog) software synthesizer. It mimics the operation of early analog subtractive synthesizers with classic oscillator waveforms, envelopes, filter, modulation and effects. The aim is to make it easy to create and modify sounds.
- Sineshaper - A monophonic synth plugin that sends the sound from two sine oscillators through two sine waveshapers in series. You can control the vibrato, tremolo, portamento, the tuning of both oscillators, the oscillator mix, the shape amount (total and split over both shapers) and the phase of the second waveshaper function. There is also an ADSR envelope generator that can control the total shape amount and the amplification (with controllable sensitivity for both), an LFO for the total shape amount, distortion, and a feedback delay. The shape amount and amplification is velocity sensitive, and the synth supports MIDI pitch bend events (with a range of +/- 2 semitones). All parameters can be controlled using MIDI Controller events.
- Mx44 - a polyphonic multichannel midi realtime software synthesizer. It is written in C and hand optimized for the (Intel) MMX instruction set. It runs under Linux, using the JACK daemon and a kernel modified for realtime performance. The core algorithm is a 4 x 4 crossmodulating matrix (phase and amplitude) with individual envelopes for each oscillator. Oscillators have individual frequency intonation, can emphasize any of the eight first harmonics and even do some internal crossmodulation. Envelopes can be switched between VCA and a VCF-like mode. The sustainloop of the envelope can be brought into oscillation in the audible spectre as well as provide slow LFO sweeps. Also, key and velocity modifications of phase relationship.
- Newtonator - an LV2 soft synth that uses a unique algorithm based on simple ideas of velocity and acceleration to produce some unpredictable sounds. Being an LV2 synth, it only works on Linux, and at the moment there is only an LV2 synth plugin; there is no stand-alone version.
- Obxd - Emulation of famous OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8 synths
- OB-Xd - by discoDSP. based on the Oberheim OB-X. It attempts to recreate its sound and behavior, but as the original was very limited in some important ways a number of things were added or altered to the original design.The OB-Xd was designed to sound as good and as rich as the original. It implements micro random detuning which is a big part of that sound. However, it was not designed as a self-contained completely independent soft-synth. It needs to be contained within a VST framework where things like transposition, automation, layering, arpeggiation, etc., are available.
- synthv1 - an old-school 4-oscillator subtractive polyphonic synthesizer with stereo fx. pure stand-alone JACK client with JACK-session, NSM (Non Session management) and both JACK MIDI and ALSA MIDI input support, or LV2 instrument plugin
- padthv1 - an old-school polyphonic additive synthesizer with stereo fx. padthv1 is based on the PADsynth algorithm by Paul Nasca, as a special variant of additive synthesis. Features: pure stand-alone JACK client with JACK-session, NSM and both JACK MIDI and ALSA MIDI input support; LV2 instrument plugin.
- rt_lpc - real-time LPC analysis + synthesis + visualization. rt_lpc is a light-weight application that performs real-time LPC analysis and synthesis.
SO-404 / SO-KL5 / SO-666
- https://github.com/jeremysalwen/So-synth-LV2 - unofficial lv2 ports
- Synister is a substractive software synthesizer made by students of the TU Berlin. Downloads include a standalone version (PC/Mac) and VST2 Plugins (Windows 32/64bit) (OSX 64bit) for use in Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). Synister has been tested on the following DAWs: Logic, Ableton Live, Cubase and Maschine and on Windows 7, 8, 10 and OSX El Captain. linux
- Peggy 2000 - subtractive synth with step sequencer made with juce
- https://github.com/falkTX/Paraphrasis - spectral modeling synthesizer. It is licensed under GPL v2 or any later. Paraphrasis uses these libraries under thier license terms: JUCE (GPLv2, GPLv3, AGPLv3, ISC), Loris (GPLv2), Teragon GUI Components, (GPLv2) TinyThread++ (zlib), sse_mathfun (zlib), Teragon PP (FreeBSD), readwriterqueue (FreeBSD), arduino-base64 (MIT/Expat), dbRowAudio (MIT/Expat), dbRowAudio dependency: SoundTouch (LGPL v2.1), dbRowAudio FFTReal (WTFPL). 
- https://github.com/VirtualAnalogy/Paraphrasis - original Mac version
- Vex - a 3-oscillator subtractive synthesizer that provides a series of sampled waves for intial tones. It can be run standalone through jalv.gtk or a plug-in manager like Carla.
Each of the 3 oscillators has the same modifiable parameters, such as octave detune, fine detune, phase adjustment and tuning. The filter section has a traditional ADSR layout, and low-pass and high-pass filter options. Discrete amplitude and LFO sections are provided, as well as independent effects controls. Chorus, reverb and delay are included in the effects section.
- Xsynth-DSSI plugin, a classic-analog (VCOs-VCF-VCA) style software synthesizer with an editor GUI. Xsynth-DSSI was written by Sean Bolton, and was based on Steve Brooke's Xsynth code, but has since aquired polyphonic operation, band-limited oscillators, a better filter mode, and velocity-sensitive envelopes.
- RTSynth - a midi event triggered real time software synthesizer entirely based on physics and mathematics.
Goal of the software is to reproduce sounds of strings, organs, flutes and drums in real time. The sound generation is based on the physics of the instruments. That means all sounds created by this software are the result of a mathematical model based on some physics about how the sounds shape varies in time. You have access to most of the models parameters through a graphical interface. Further more most of the parameters can be controlled by MIDI controllers.
- Wsynth-DSSI is a simple wavetable synth. It is not based on any "real life" synth, but was written with the PPG Wave and Prophet VS in mind. The code is based on Xsynth-DSSI, hence the imaginative name.
- slat - This is my soft-theremin. It was called "theremin", but now it's called "slat". Calling it theremin was a bit silly. Playing it is very simple, move the mouse pointer up and down to change pitch, left and right to change volume. Notes are printed on either side to make it easier to play.
DX-10 / JX-10
- Wat Syn is a 4-oscillator, modulatable wavetable synthesizer, another powerful instrument included in the Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS) Digital Audio Workstation
- TAL-NoiseMaker is an improved version of TAL-Elek7ro and has a completely new synth engine and a lot of improvements in sound and usability. The synth also includes a small effect section with a reverb, chorus and a simple bit crusher effect.
A display shows the knob and slider values. This allows more control over the synth. A ringmodulator and a syncable triangle are also part of this synth. TAL-NoiseMaker includes new filter types as the self resonating 6dB low pass and a notch filter. Its improved amplitude ADSR is very suitable for slow pads as for really fast envelopes. 128 factory presets included, 80 made by Frank "Xenox" Neumann / Particular - Sound.
distrho linux port available
- Xhip - a free software subtractive/hybrid synthesizer available for download as a plug-in. It correctly implements those features considered essential to a synthesizer capable of a wide variety of classic "bread and butter" sounds. Users of classic synthesizers should find it very comfortable and familiar as well as extremely fun to use. 
- https://github.com/nicoroulet/moog - a digital emulator of a minimoog synthesizer, built as an LV2 audio plugin for Linux.
- Minicomputer is a standalone Linux software synthesizer for creating experimental electronic sounds as its often used in but not limited to Industrial music, IDM, EBM, Glitch, sound design and minimal electronic. It is monophonic but can produce up to 8 different sounds at the same time. It uses Jack as real time audio infrastructure and can be controlled via Midi.
- Tunefish is a very tiny virtual analog synthesizer. It is developed to fit into about 10kb of compressed machine code while still producing an audio quality that can compete with commercial synthesizers. This site was created to make the VST/AU version of it available to the public. This plugin, unlike the version of TF which is used in 64k intros of our group Brain Control is of course larger, mainly because it has a UI and uses the excellent Juce framework for C++. (This is true for v4. v3 uses Qt and v2 uses the VSTGUI library.)
- https://github.com/cognitone/sprike - an extended version of Tunefish4 with modifications and enhancements added by Cognitone. While the actual sound synthesis was not changed (in fact, you can import your existing Tunefish4 presets), Sprike features a differently organized preset storage, 4 additional MOD sources, an on-screen keyboard, a level meter, tempo-controlled delay units, and a more complete MIDI implementation with bank plus program selection, in order to integrate more transparently with MIDI-controlled environments and conventions.
Mr. Alias 2
- Mr. Alias 2 uses non-bandlimited oscillators which can be transposed near to and beyond the Nyquist frequency, causing most of their spectra to be aliased back into audible non-harmonic frequencies. The sound can then be further processed by a number of crude "effects."
Universal VST, Mac AU.
- https://ineardisplay.com/plugins/legacy/ - 1.3 for Linux
- reMID - a MIDI interface to reSID
- https://github.com/ssj71/reMID.lv2 - This is a MIDI implementation of a MOS8580 6581 SID chip using the reSID library. It includes support for scripted instruments that allow complex sonic control of the chip.
Rave Generator VST
- Rave Generator VST - a free rompler VST synth, containing many of the classic sounds of the early rave / hardcore from the 90′s.
- https://github.com/milasudril/happychords - a software synthesizer for producing hooks like the one found in "Rosa Hellikopter" and other fast-paced dance tracks. It can also produce rock organ sounds or sweeping pads. LV2
- YouTube: Happychords
- Qin - an LV2 plugin for synthesizing plucking and striking sounds. The basic architecture is two oscillators feeding into a highpass filter followed by a lowpass filter. Unique to this synth are the envelopes which are designed to better mimic physical plucking and striking sounds.
- lv2_guitar - a simple plugin that is capable of physically simulating the vibrations of a guitar string using the Functional Transformation Method. The plugin is playable via MIDI. It is based in part on the VST-plugin 'FTM String' by Daniel Maaß, on the VST-plugin 'FTM Psycho String' by Alexander Müller and on the LV2-plugin 'Simple Sine Generator' by Nedko Arnaudov.
- CT-Synth - GUI toolkit for the Linux desktop and for Android tablets, running Android 4.4 or higher. Included is a demo project, a synthesizer.
- Psychosynth project aims to create an interactive modular soft-synth inspired by the ideas of the Reactable. We will try to provide a clean object oriented API to allow the creation of new innovative interfaces for the synthetizer and a 3D simulator of a Reactable-alike device with support for collaborative music creation over the internet. Our main goal is to create a free software alternative to allow newbies, developers and professionals explore new ways of making music.
- https://github.com/geraldmwangi/GuitarSynth-DPF - a set of wavetable synths controlled by a monophonic pitchdetector. Actually it is not specific to guitars but can be used for any harmonic instrument when playing single notes. This is a small petproject of mine to explore the possibilities of pitchdetection for Guitars. It uses aubio for pitch detection, but that will change as I want to write my own detector.
- https://github.com/grejppi/bytes - LV2 synth with four oscillators, 1-bit wavetables and hard sync
- fastbreeder - An experimental genetic programming synthesiser. This program is free software, developed for linux, using jack for audio. Fastbreeder is essentially a 4 button synth. The idea is to grow code by choosing from a range of automatically generated variations of functions, you don't have to know how they work, but each function creates a sound which can be selected by you. The following generation is then created containing mutants of your chosen sound. You can refine and develop the sound just by auditioning and choosing the best one each time.
- munt - A multi-platform software synthesiser emulating (currently inaccurately) pre-GM MIDI devices such as the Roland MT-32, CM-32L, CM-64 and LAPC-I. In no way endorsed by or affiliated with Roland Corp.
- Andes - a software synthesiser plugin in early stages of development. The core of Andes is an original oscillator which uses a pseudo-3D version of Perlin noise to produce distinctively digital sound.
- GuitarSynth - a set of wavetable synths controlled by a monophonic pitchdetector. Actually it is not specific to guitars but can be used for any harmonic instrument when playing single notes. This is a small petproject of mine to explore the possibilities of pitchdetection for Guitars. It uses aubio for pitch detection, but that will change as I want to write my own detector. Required: libjack, aubio
- Diodow Virtual Software Synthesizer - contains around 5% capabilities/features of it's mighty bigger brother - Tranzistow. But don't worry, despite those 5% it has enough capabilities to keep you busy for quite some time and very complex sounds can be made with 4x oscillators, 4x filters, 4x LFOs, 4x 5-stage envelopes, 16x+16x modulation matrix, 4x delays, etc.
- Tranzistow - a virtual software synthesizer with 4 or 8 independent multi parts. Although it is (to some extent) inspired by Waldorf Q, Waldorf Microwave II/XT, Alesis Andromeda, Oberheim Xpander, John Bowen Solaris and Yamaha DX series, it has a unique sound and tons of unique features not found on any other synthesizer. Various forms of synthesis are supported including Additive, Virtual Analog/Modeling (VA), Wavetable (with classic, crossfade and full wave interpolation modes), two completely independent FM engines, Ring Modulation, Oscillator Sync, Vectors, Rotors (as in Solaris), various filter models (SVF 12/24dB, 6dB to 24dB Transistor Ladder with fully configurable poles, 24dB Diode LowPass Ladder, ...), Filter Chaining, Comb Filters, WaveShaping, freely drawable Contour Generators, exhaustive FX section including Chorus/Flanger, Phaser, Delay and Reverb units, etc, etc. - $ (Diodow is the free version)
- https://github.com/ycollet/psi-plugins - super_welle: a 4 oscillator / 16 voice virtual analog unison synthesizer
- SigmaTizm - A standalone virtual additive synthesizer for Linux and Windows with MIDI support.
- https://github.com/erwincoumans/StkDekrispatorSynthesizer - Port of Dekrispator Synthesizer to Windows, Linux, Mac and Raspberry Pi. Original for STM32F4 is here: https://github.com/MrBlueXav/Dekrispator Using STK for midi and sound playback.
- https://github.com/switryk/jackpunkconsole - a sound synthesizer that emulates an Atari punk console. It is written in C and uses the Jack Audio Connection Kit. It has a Gtk3 interface and a midi connection through Jack, so it is possible to play sounds with a midi device. As it uses Jack for audio, it is possible to redirect the sound in a FX processors, recorders, or anything from fun to useful.
- https://github.com/switryk/punk-console.lv2 - Atari Punk Console LV2 plugin
- Xhip Follower - The Xhip synthesizer filter controlled by a HAR envelope follower.
- wigwamjam - grows sounds using your decisions to drive the evolution of genetically programmed synth functions.
- https://github.com/suhr/xephys - a microtonal digital waveguide synthesier that uses JACK for audio output and OSC for control.
- https://github.com/visstup/cloud-generator - Polyphonic 18 oscillator (9 sinusodial, 9 sawtooth) alias-free synthesiser with a sinusodial LFO modulating the frequency of each oscillator, a cubic distortion unit, and a third-order lowpass Elliptic (Cauer) filter. See the documentation for more information on the signal path.
- ZamSynth - Experimental plugin from ZamAudio
- Cadmium - a vector phase-shaping synthesizer. Vector phase-shaping (VPS) is an evolution of phase distortion, taken further in Cadmium with audio-rate modulation. This opens up a sound palette characterised by moving, morphing, shifting timbres – from snarling jungle bass to classic FM tones and everything inbetween.It has the accoutrements of a subtractive synth: a modelled filter, envelopes and LFOs for modulation, but with a fresh approach where it counts – the oscillators. Cadmium is now available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- https://github.com/Themaister/airsynth - a simple polyphonic softsynth for LV2 (and JACK). It currently features three instruments.
- https://github.com/brummer10/Xmonk.lv2 - an LV2 toy, a simple sound generator to have some fun with.
- https://github.com/legionxvx/signal-generator - sin and square generators
- dexed - FM VSTi/AU plugin synthesizer. Dexed is a multi platform, multi format plugin synth that is closely modeled on the Yamaha DX7. Under the hood, it uses music-synthesizer-for-android for the synth engine and JUCE as a plugin wrapper. The goal of this project is to be a great tool/companion for the original DX7. Yes, the sound engine with 'float' values parameter; different waveform (a la TX81z) would be great but anything that goes beyond the DX7 should will be a fork of this project. This is to keep the compatiblity with the original synth.
- LegaSynth - an old chip/synthesizer emulator on top of an advanced software sound synthesis programming framework. It currently emulates the Yamaha DX7 FM Synth, the MOS6581SID (C64 soundchip), the Yamaha 2xxx FM series (very common in some personal synths, arcades, and the Sega Genesis), and the TB303. It supports the ALSA Sequencer API for midi input, and OSS/ALSA and JACK for output. A GTK graphical interface is provided to take full advantage of the synth, as well as for managing presets, patches, and banks, etc.
- https://github.com/ngeiswei/deicsonze - Emulator of the YM2414, the FM synthesizer of the Yamaha DX11 and TX81Z.
- 6PM - a phase modulation (PM) synthesizer made of six oscillators.
- Oxe FM Synth is an open source VST 2.4 instrument plugin for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Features: Multitimbral (16 MIDI channels); 8 operators (6 oscillators, 1 noise generator/limiter, 1 filter), all with envelope; 1 LFO per channel; frequency modulation half-matrix with self-modulation; global reverb and delay; great general performance in low resources systems; a lot of good quality patches included
- JuceOPLVSTi - VST instrument which emulates the Yamaha OPL sound chip used in PC sound cards from the 90s.
- YouTube: JuceOPLVSTi, OPL2 emulator!
- https://github.com/jpcima/adljack - OPL3/OPN2 synthesizer using ADLMIDI and OPNMIDI. This is a standalone synthesizer for ADLMIDI and OPNMIDI on the text console. It is based on libADLMIDI and libOPNMIDI. adljack is the version for the Jack audio system. adlrt is the portable version for Linux, Windows and Mac. Feature list: Real time, low latency FM synthesizer, Support of multiple FM chip emulators, Support of multiple chips for extended polyphony, Loading instrument banks in WOPL and WOPN formats, General MIDI level 1 and 2, Multi-channel MIDI playback, Automatic bank reloading when the file changes on disk, User interface for the terminal with dynamic controls, Session management with the NSM protocol (adljack only)
- https://github.com/jpcima/miniopl3 - A simple mono-timbral OPL3 plugin
- https://github.com/jpcima/ADLplug - Synthesizer plugin for ADLMIDI and OPNMIDI (VST/LV2)
- VOPM - Virtual FM synthsizer, like OPM
Ported to linux by the Jucetice Team at Anticore.org
- https://github.com/Themaister/libfmsynth - A C library which implements an FM synthesizer
- https://github.com/irmen/synthesizer - A waveform synthesizer that can generate different wave form samples: sine, triangle, sawtooth, square, pulse wave, harmonics and white noise. It also supports Frequency Modulation, Pulse-width modulation, and ADSR envelopes using LFOs.
- jack_miniFMsynth - tiny FM synthesizer, a JACK client and a client of the ALSA sequencer system. This example client is based on the example miniFMsynth.c.
To compile jack_miniFMsynth just type
cc -o jack_miniFMsynth jack_miniFMsynth.c -ljack -lasound -lm
jack_miniFMsynth takes several parameters:
jack_miniFMsynth <MIDI channel> <FM> <harmonic> <subharmonic> <transpose> <a> <d> <s> <r> <MIDI channel> MIDI channel for NOTE events <FM> Strength of the frequency modulation <harmonic> Harmonic of the master oscillator (integer) <subharmonic> Subharmonic of the master oscillator (integer) <transpose> Note offset for both oscillators (integer) <a> <d> <s> <r> Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release
- https://github.com/Wohlstand/OPN2BankEditor - A small cross-platform editor of the OPN2 FM banks of different formats
- https://github.com/Wohlstand/OPL3BankEditor - A small cross-platform editor of the OPL3 FM banks of different formats
- https://github.com/jpcima/genwopl - Generator of WOPL bank collection
- https://github.com/jpcima/fmprog - Automatic FM patch programmer with Genetic Algorithm
- https://github.com/sneakernets/Mighty-SoundBlaster - Recreation of famous Electronic, Electric, Reed, Theatre, and Pipe organs and their stops in OPL3 Synthesis.
- https://ftz.lyberta.net/projects/chiptune - provides synths for basic waveforms which were produced by programmable sound generators in the 1980s and 1990s. The project is in alpha state and there is no GUI. You need to use your DAW to automate parameters.
SocaLabs 8-bit synths
- https://github.com/ssj71/vst2413 - FM synthesizer based on YM2413 (OPLL) sound chip emulator
- ymVST - VST plug-in for authentic Atari ST chipsounds. Emulates the built in YM2149 sound chip with a decent plugin user-interface on your PC.
- https://github.com/ngeiswei/zynayumi - VST/DSSI/LV2 Synth based on ayumi, a highly precise emulation of the YM2149
- https://github.com/linuxmao-org/VL1-emulator - An emulator of Casio VL-Tone VL1, based on source code by PolyValens
- Aeolus is a synthesised (i.e. not sampled) pipe organ emulator that should be good enough to make an organist enjoy playing it. It is a software synthesiser optimised for this job, with possibly hundreds of controls for each stop, that enable the user to "voice" his instrument. First presented at the 2nd LAD conference in Karlsruhe, end of April 2004.
- GENPO - the GENeral Purpose Organ. It replicates the essential features of any pipe, theatre, or reed organ. GENPO reads a description of an organ (a .org XML file) and presents a suitable user interface for operating that organ. There are a number of high quality organ SoundFonts freely available and the .org file maps the stop sounds to organ divisions, manuals and stops. Other facilities such and couplers and presets are available. You may connect one or more MIDI keyboards to GENPO to provide the organ manuals, you can also assign one to be the 'pedalboard'.
- jOrgan - a Java-based MIDI processor. It is free software for complex transmitting and dynamical modifying of MIDI messages on their way between MIDI encoders and MIDI decoders, through an own MIDI Programming Language MPL. It can be used as Virtual Pipe Organ (virtual organ console). Runs on Microsoft Windows, Linux and macOS operating systems
- Beatrix is a MIDI-controlled, software synthesizer designed to imitate the sound and properties of the electromechanical organs and sound modification devices that brought world-wide fame to the names and products of Laurens Hammond and Don Leslie.
- setBfree - A DSP Tonewheel Organ emulator. setBfree is a MIDI-controlled, software synthesizer designed to imitate the sound and properties of the electromechanical organs and sound modification devices that brought world-wide fame to the names and products of Laurens Hammond and Don Leslie.
- GrandOrgue is a sample based pipe organ simulator. When connected to MIDI keyboards and an audio system, it can accurately simulate the sound of a real pipe organ. This application has builds for Linux, Windows and OS X.
- GrandOrgue sample sets - GrandOrgue sample sets
- Foo YC20 - This is a Faust implementation of a 1969 designed Yamaha combo organ, the YC-20. In addition to the Faust code, it has a Gtkmm UI with Jack audio and midi support. A LV2 instrument plugin is planned but not yet executed.
- horgand - a softsynth, really simple and easy to use, specially designed to produce organ sounds is also capable to generate other sound types like Electric Pianos (Rhodes, Wurlitzer, DX E.Piano), Jazz Guitar, Strings, Brass, Fretless Bass, Accordion etc. using low CPU resources. horgand is based on a FM audio synthesizer with twenty carriers (20) without modulators in a plain based algorithm. Each carrier frequency can be modified for construct complex sounds. The synthesizer incorporate also a LFO (Low frequency oscillator) for generate tremolo effects and detune effects applying LFO Pitch and Amplitude to the carrier frequency's. Some synthesizer parameters can be edited for each sound including two ADSR, (Normal and Percussion), Fine Frequency, Attenuation, Rotary Amplitude, Transpose, etc. Four DSP effects are available for obtain more complex sounds, Rotary, Chorus, Delay and Reverberation. Sounds are stored in banks of 32 organ sounds and can be changed externally with MIDI program change (1-32).
- https://github.com/Jools64/Hammond-Novachord-LV2-Plugin - A small lv2 plugin that attempts to emulate the sound of the Hammond Novachord
- ORGANTEQ Alpha - a new generation physically modelled pipe organ that reproduces the complex behaviour of the organ flue pipe. It is a small organ with a keyboard range of 4 octaves (from F1 to F5) and with 2 stops: a Flute 8' and a Flute 4' (octave).
It is provided in standalone mode only and should be regarded as a foretaste of a more advanced commercial version in development, due to be released during 2018.
- AZR-3 JACK - a port of the free VST plugin AZR-3. It is a tonewheel organ with drawbars, distortion and rotating speakers. The original was written by Rumpelrausch Täips. The organ has three sections, two polyphonic with 9 drawbars each and one monophonic bass section with 5 drawbars. The two polyphonic sections respond to events on MIDI channel 1 and 2, and an optional keyboard split function makes the bass section listen to the lower keys on channel 1. The three sections have separate sustain and percussion switches as well as separate volume controls, and the two polyphonic sections have separate vibrato settings. All three sections are mixed and sent through the distortion effect and the rotating speakers simulator, where the modulation wheel can be used to switch between fast and slow rotation, and the fast and slow rotation speeds themselves can be changed separately for the lower and upper frequencies.
- https://bitbucket.org/horo/connie/wiki/Home - Simple simulation of an electronic organ like e.g. Vox Continental. This project is a toolbox for creating an electronic organ program with JACK MIDI input and JACK audio output for Linux. Connie is a JACK application. It has one MIDI input and a stereo audio output.
- EplayOrgan - a brand new multi purpose organ by David Back, November and December 2017, intended to be playable by organists and versatile enough to be useful to everybody with an interest in organs. It will load and be playable almost instantly and does not need an expensive computer with huge amounts of memory. eplayOrgan was designed and tested on a 64 bit Windows 10 system but was always intended to be versatile in that it will run on any Windows system back to and including Windows XP. It will also run on any Mac or Linux system under Wine. All the basics are in place for producing native Mac and Linux versions in due course. Latency is negligable under Windows.
- Elka Panther - one of the most famous organs in 60s’ and 70s’ popular music. VST/AU plug-in.
- San Dysth - a standalone realtime soft-synth written in SND.This softsynth has controls to generate various kinds of sounds inbetween white noise and pure tones. It also provides controllers to disturb the generated sound by using a "period counter" to extend the variety of the generated output. Common usage for the softsynth is organ-like sound, organic-like sound, alien-like sounds, water-like sounds, and various kinds of noise (noise artists could find this softsynth most useful).
- MARVIN VST - freeware Windows
- VST Museum - freeware Windows
- SQ8L - an SQ80-emulating VSTi. Runs on Linux via Wine, but not on Windows????????
- http://synth1.com/ a software synthesizer for computer music use. It is VSTi/AU compatible. (AU version is beta now) The current version is freeware. Functionally it is modelled on the Clavia Nord Lead 2Red Synth ; with the following characteristics: 2 Oscillators + 1 sub Oscillator, FM modulation, ring modulation,sync,modulation envelope; 4 types of filters, distortion; 2LFO(synchronized with host); Arpeggiator (synchronized with host)
Tempo delay (synchronized with host), stereo chorus/flanger; Legato mode, portamento; 32 notes polyphony; 128 presets; Thoroughly optimized for light CPU load using SSE instructions etc.; Automation
- Bleep - a free VSTi synthesizer plug-in for Windows which inspired by the sound of MOS Technology SID. At the same time Bleep' is not emulator of this chipset but only partially similar to its architecture.
- Zebralette - has two LFOs (one per voice, one global), a multi-stage envelope and three on-board effects (chorus, EQ, delay). Not forgetting Zebra2's famous dual spectral effects, which include several squelchy filter algorithms. Windows/Mac.
- Podolski - a simple, CPU-efficient virtual analogue synthesizer. Basically a cut down version of FilterscapeVA with just one oscillator, one filter, one envelope and two LFOs, it also features a Zebra-style arpeggiator/sequencer plus chorus and delay effects. Podolski's specialities are the Click parameter (emphasizes the filter attack) and its ability to seamlessly morph between three waveforms (WaveWarp). Windows/Mac.
- TyrellN6 - based on a design similar to Roland's classic Juno 60, with a few modules and novel features. Linux/Windows/Mac
- Hive was made to be fast and simple. The streamlined single screen UI lets you dive into sound creation immediately. A fluid workflow invites you to tweak away until your sound is just right (or wrong in just the right way). Hive was engineered to be light on CPU, and won’t slow you down while you work. But being “fast and simple” doesn’t mean we’ve sacrificed sound quality or creative control - Hive is packed with features, controls and enough flexibility to deliver stunning sounds. Windows/Mac.
u-he Triple Cheese
- Triple Cheese is a unique-sounding freeware synthesizer plugin. Triple Cheese doesn't use any of the classic synthesis techniques – substractive, FM or additive – but various forms of comb filter i.e. very short chromatically tuned delays. The three cheese modules in a row either generate their own signal, or process the output of the previous module. Windows/Mac.
deputy Mark II
- deputy Mark II is a VST2.4 software instrument for Microsoft Windows
- Charlatan is a polyphonic, subtractive virtual analog (VA) synthesizer plugin with focus on sound quality and easy usability. It comes with a flexible, yet not overwhelming feature set which encourages artists to start tweaking instead of just relying on presets. Inspite of it's simplicity, Charlatan's architecture is flexible enough to create both classic sounds and rather experimental noises. While making no compromise about sound quality, the sound engine has been highly optimized for efficient CPU usage making Charlatan well suited as a "bread and butter" synth even in projects with a large number of plugin instances. Windows VST.
- Venom VB-303 is a win32 VST made with SynthEdit/SE_SDK2. It’s an approximation of the sound of a x0xb0x, and the sequencer of the TB-303.
- Caustic 3 - a music creation tool suite inspired by rack-mount synthesizers / samplers rigs. Everything is real-time and optimized for mobile devices. Windows VST.
- Defiant WT - Wavetable – Additive – Subtractive Hybrid / Polyphonic. Slick and compact but packs a powerful punch and a host of advanced features. Providing wavetable, additive and subtractive synthesis in an efficiently clever design with a unique modulation arsenal, Defiant WT is creative, grungy, intuitive, fun and to the point.
- metamorph - a waveform morphing synth with a bunch of envelopes, LFOs and onboard effects to guarantee movement on even the most vanilla note. Each oscillator can morph through a selection of waveforms in tempo sync or modulated by an envelope. It can also step through the waveforms, make each cycle a new waveform or even just stick with one waveform if you want. Throw in pitch modulation, 5 envelopes, 2 LFO’s, a ring mod / 3rd audio osc, variable state filter, distortion, delay and an arpeggiator and that held note will never sound the same again
- GalaXynth - a Workstation Synth from the future. With this baby, you’re done fiddling with neverending rows of knobs. Find the sound you need ASAP, stop messing around, start making music.
- Scylla - a 32 bit Windows VST instrument capable of sample-playback combined with subtractive synthesis to produce a wide variety of sonic possibilities ranging from lush pads to far-out soundscapes and effects via scorching leads and chunky bass. Scylla includes three different types of oscillators that can be modified to a wide variety of styles and three built-in samplers that can accommodate .wav audio samples, which can be played back in grain table, waveform, sample or single hit format. All the audio can be modified and modulated through LFO, volume and filter envelopes, Ring-Modulation, and Unison.
- Oatmeal - a two-oscillator subtractive synth.
- YouTube: X11 by BV Music
- Harmony Box - synth, win/mac vst/au
- basic 65 - a monophonic synth, inspired by the classic 80s home computer, the Commodore 64 and its legendary SID chip. Building on the waveforms and signal path of this famous chip, basic 65 adds further features and options to take things a step further. The double arpeggiator allows complex versions of that retro 8-bit game sound and the modulation options inspire experimentation via the mod envelope and 2 comprehensive LFOs. Pulse width modulation, ring modulation and oscillator detune/sync are key ingredients in the signature sound. Throw in some pitch drift, bit drift, a sprinkle of dirt and randomisation and you have a wide range of lofi, chiptune, retro-tastic sounds at your disposal.
- Preparation P - a VSTi collection of 61 high quality prepared piano samples. All of these samples were recorded by Tom Gersic on a baby-grand piano, and include a variety of strummed strings, plucked strings, and many other sounds of various objects lodged in the strings. Each sample can be tuned individually, and you can also adjust the attack, decay, sustain, and release characteristics of the sound by using the envelope controls.
- SmallQoo - 8voice poly Compact Synth. Win VST.
- Metatron - a 2 oscillator analog synthesizer with an arpeggiator that works alongside a gated modulation sequencer for creating unique rhythmic patterns and sounds. The oscillator section uses waveforms that double up to create a phasing effect similar to pulse width, but for each waveform. This along with a powerful unison detune section and ring modulator give Metatron a rich, fat sound. With the addition of versatile graphical envelopes, LFOs and other modulation options, Metatron becomes an instrument that can create complex sounds, but at the same time keeps it simple without trying to do everything, making it a perfect 'go to' synth for one-finger basslines, rhythmic techno leads, spacey gated pads and other creative arpeggiated sequences. Win VST.
- Photon - a hybrid synth with an with an experimental 'warp' engine for creating evolving rhythmic sequences, random arpeggios and classic Sample&Hold style arcade weirdness. Win VST.
- Subconscious - Hybrid Sequencer Synth. Subconscious is a dual arpeggiation sequence synth with oscillator crossfading, feedback modulation, and independent filter and amp envelopes for both oscillator sections. Subconscious has two different onboard sequencers, a gate sequencer and a modulation sequencer, which can be used for stepped sequences, gated pads and modulation of the pitch and filters. Win VST.
- blooo - a VST 2.4 polyphonic software synthesizer plug-in for Microsoft Windows® (both 32 and 64 bit) based on the classic subtractive synthesis architecture. It is written in native C++ code for high performance even on "lighter" systems.
- scrooo - a VST 2.4 polyphonic software synthesizer plug-in for Microsoft Windows® (both 32 and 64 bit) based on a spectral formant synthesis architecture and written in native C++ code for high performance.
- YouTube: The Scrooo
- qyooo - a VST 2.4 polyphonic software synthesizer plug-in for Microsoft Windows® (both 32 and 64 bit). It is written in native C++ code for high performance and low CPU consumption.
- Ragnarök - a VST 2.4 software instrument for Microsoft Windows® simulating a custom-built one-of-a-kind analog synthesizer from 1980. It is written in native C++ code for high performance and low CPU consumption.
- Nabla - a VST 2.4 software instrument for Microsoft Windows® simulating the KORG Delta DL-50 Strings Synthesizer from 1979. Is is written in native C++ code for high performance and low CPU consumption.
- deputy Mark II - a VST 2.4 software instrument for Microsoft Windows® (both 32 and 64 bit) in the tradition of classic string machines and early "polyphonic" synthesizers, written in native C++ code for high performance.
- Kern - a VST 2.4 polyphonic software synthesizer plug-in for Microsoft Windows® (both 32 and 64 bit) designed to run with and to be fully controlled by modern MIDI keyboard controllers like the Novation® Impulse™. It is written in native C++ code for high performance and extremely low CPU consumption.
- Mono/Fury - a VST 2.4 software synthesizer plug-in for Microsoft Windows® (both 32 and 64 bit) emulating the classic KORG Mono/Poly® analog synthesizer of the early 1980's. It is written in native C++ code for high performance even on "lighter" systems.
- ModulAir - a modular polyphonic software synthesizer for Microsoft Windows (VST) and Apple macOS (VST/AU) written in native C++ code for high performance and low CPU consumption. WARNING! ModulAir is a work in progress, unfinished, buggy, as of now with only a few quirky presets. Expect horrible things to happen. It is a clumsy unhandy complicated piece of software.
Formant Classic Advanced
- Formant Classic Advanced - an extended Donation Ware version of the "Formant Classic" Free Ware version based on the legendary Elektor Formant DIY (Do It Your self) synthesizer of 1977/78 . It is available as a standalone version and VSTi plugin version for Microsoft based computers.
- Substance - a virtual analog software synthesizer (VSTi) emphasizing simplicity, flexibility, and sound quality. The key factors in the design of Substance were that it should sound great, without effects, and that it should all fit on one page.
- TW-PitchShop - Versatile Mono/Poly Synth with portamento. Loads of controls to create (or adjust) sounds, divided over different screens. Easy to use interface, very understandable for beginners and experts. Interface ±840 pixels wide, height about 440 pixels.
- TW-WhiteWidow - Versatile Mono/Poly Synth with portamento. Loads of controls to create (or adjust) sounds, divided over different screens. Easy to use interface, very understandable for beginners and experts. Interface 810 pixels wide, height 619 pixels. Patchbank with 128 sounds.
- http://www.technowitch.nl/vst-pvmspecial.html TW-PVM Special] - Versatile Mono/Poly Synth with Noise Oscilator. Loads of controls to create (or adjust) sounds, divided over different screens. Easy to use interface, very understandable for beginners and experts. Interface 722 pixels wide, height 343 pixels. Patchbank with 64 sounds.
- Eclipsis - full featured hybrid wavetable synthesizer with 3 oscillators, 6 LFOs, 118 waveshapes, 39 modulation targets, 2 effects racks and unique preset randomization! And all of that in new attractive design!
- U.F.O. Zone Edition - (VSTi) is upgraded version of original U.F.O. plugin with some updates, improvements and fixes. It is a subtractive synthesizer with three oscillators and some preset randomization function.
- Charlatan - a polyphonic, subtractive virtual analog (VA) synthesizer plugin with focus on sound quality and easy usability. It comes with a flexible, yet not overwhelming feature set which encourages artists to start tweaking instead of just relying on presets. Inspite of it's simplicity, Charlatan's architecture is flexible enough to create both classic sounds and rather experimental noises. While making no compromise about sound quality, the sound engine has been highly optimized for efficient CPU usage making Charlatan well suited as a "bread and butter" synth even in projects with a large number of plugin instances.
- The Viking - uses additive synthesis to produce Dynamic Tonality tunings and timbres. Scale pitches result from successive additions and subtractions of a period (e.g., an octave) and a generator (e.g., a perfect fifth). The period and generator can be set to any size, making a wide variety of microtonal tunings easily accessible.
- 2032 - a Dynamic Tonality physical modeling (modal) synth. It emulates the sound of a pitched physical object (string, pipe, plate) mounted on an unpitched physical body (guitar body, djembe body, drum shell, etc.) that is excited by a hammer, breath, bow, or live audio input. It supports a wide range of microtonal tunings and the partials of its sounds can be retuned so as to match the underlying tuning, thereby minimizing sensory dissonance. It supports tunings produced by a period and a generator of any sizes (for standard Western tunings, the period is the octave and the generator is the perfect fifth).
- Transformer - a Dynamic Tonality analysis-resynthesis synth. It transforms an audio sample, or live audio, by separating it into pitched components (partials) and noise. The amplitudes and frequencies of the partials, and the balance between noise and pitch can then be dynamically adjusted. As with all Dynamic Tonality synths, it supports a wide range of microtonal tunings and the partials can be retuned to match the underlying tuning, thereby minimizing sensory dissonance. The tunings are produced by a period and a generator (for standard Western tunings, the period is the octave and the generator is the perfect fifth). The sizes of both can be freely adjusted to morph between many diverse tunings.
- https://github.com/PentagramPro/OwlBass - an additive single voice bass synthesizer. It is avaliable as VST and AU plugin as well as standalone app.
- Odo's Classic VST instruments - Windows VST
- Dream 64 - inspired by the SID chip from the old but good Commodore c64, of course with some extra features added for fun.
Harsh Digital Nose
- Harsh Digital Nose a synthesizer that converts two images into two oscillator waveforms and then mixes them in various horrible ways. You can drag and drop images or draw them on the plugin in real time.
Windows/Mac VST, Mac AU.
- Chip32 - small wave table synthsizer VST Plugin for Win
- DvnSfxMaker - a VST/AU plugin to create sound effects for games. Features: 3 Oscillators (Sin, Triangle, Tan, Square, Saw, Breaker, Whistle) + White and Pink Noise. AHDSR envelopes for filter and amplitude. Pitch Envelope. Low and Hi pass filters with resonance. Pitch jump. Random preset generator. Built-in bitcrusher. Settings history. 4 notes polyphony.
SANA 8BIT VST
- https://github.com/COx2/SANA_8BIT_VST - VSTi project made by JUCE 5.3.1 Library. "SANA 8BIT VST" is name of the Synthesizer. It has a Oscillator, pitch sweep function, vibrato function and Wave scope. Oscillator can switch several waveforms and has ADSR function. And you can write own waveform on the WAVEFORM MEMORY component.This is a windows 32bit/64bit Application. It builded as DLL format. And you can install your DAW easily.
- GSinth - Free VST synthesizer from GVST. 3 oscillators with independent settings can be used to create interesting, evolving sounds. Randomise buttons allow for quick experimentation with sounds.
- GSinth2 - Free VST synthesizer from GVST. 3 oscillators with independent settings can be used to create interesting, evolving sounds. Builds on the simpler GSinth with additional waveform and noise generators. Randomise buttons allow for quick experimentation with sounds.
Little Spiral Generator
- Little Spiral Generator - free VST/AU by Soundemote
Rhythm and Pitch Generator
- Rhythm and Pitch Generator - an analog-style arpeggiator that can be run at audio rate for a quirky sound generator or locked to a tempo to generate inspiring melodic and rhythmic phrases based on a seed-based random sample-and-hold.Features Robin Schmidt's TriSaw morphable oscillator which can be morphed (not crossfaded!) into tri, saw, square, sine, anti-sine, and everything inbetween, giving tones that range from chiptune squares to warm analog saws. free VST/AU by Soundemote.
- http://www.uisoftware.com/MetaSynth - mac, $
- https://github.com/7402/mbeep - Mac or Linux beep tool plays a series of sine-wave tones on the audio output or writes to a .wav file. Tones are specified by freq and length, MIDI notes, or text to be sent as Morse code.
- https://github.com/michelesr/jack-oscillator - Single oscillator with traditional waveforms for JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit)
- pjbsynth - csound script takes MIDI input and produces audio output. It is still at an early release stage, and is likely to change even in important details like Patches and Controller-numbers. Channels 0-8 are dedicated to Audio signals. The basic Patches are simple, old-fashioned waveforms like sine, triangle, square, and sawtooth, plus some fractal waveforms, and also live or file audio. The Channel Controllers for these Audio channels can be set by the normal methods, or one or two of them can be driven by a built-in Low-Frequency-Oscillator by using the non-standard controllers cc20 to cc23, or cc24 to cc27, or by a built-in Attack-Envelope using cc52 to cc53. Other non-standard controllers offer also Ring modulation, Distortion, some unusual types of Loop, etc. Channel 9 is dedicated to a low-tech percussion-set using simple waveforms like sine or white noise. It is roughly modelled on General-MIDI Channel 9. Channels 10-15 are dedicated to the Low-Frequency-Oscillators, where MIDI-note number 60 means not middle-C, but 1 Cycle-per-second (i.e. eight octaves lower!).
- Cursynth - a polyphonic music synthesizer that runs graphically inside your terminal. You can play Cursynth as a standalone soft-synth with your computer keyboard or MIDI keyboard.
- https://github.com/BramGiesen/synth - Command line FM-synth written in C++. Uses jack for audio. For this project I used some code examples from Marc Groenewegen and Ciska Vriezenga.
See also WebDev#Web Audio API
Test Signal Generator
- Test Signal Generator - A no-frills test-signal generator plugin with 7 operation modes: Sine Wave 1kHz. Sine Sweep 20Hz to 20KHz (at most to samplerate / 2) in 10 seconds, Square Wave 1kHz, Uniform White Noise, Gaussian Shaped White Noise, Pink Noise, Impulses (1 sample spike) 100 Hz, 0dBFS
One Hand Synth
- One Hand Synth - a musical instrument for tablets running Android 2.2 or higher. Choice from 2 sound sources: a Moog-like synthesizer and a Hammond-like organ. These can be played with one of 3 on-screen keyboards. Preset patches as well as manual controls.
- SynprezFM - a full-fledged Yamaha DX7 emulator for Android
- https://github.com/onesuper/geekmusic - electronic organ game in DOS
- https://github.com/paulbatchelor/voc_demo - A realtime demo of Voc, a vocal tract physical model. With the exception of RtAudio (released under the permissive STK license, included here), all code here is licensed under public domain.
- Spicy Guitar - a free physically modelled acoustic guitar synthesizer.
- DIMPLE - Dynamically Interactive Musically PhysicaL Environment an implementation of a physical dynamics environment which can be controlled via OSC, so that audio projects such as PureData can create physical objects in a virtual space, and then let them interact with each other, colliding and otherwise moving around. Data about objects' position and acceleration, for example, can be retrieved and then used to affect some sort of audio synthesis. It is a part of the "force feedback for audio systems" IDMIL project and was first presented at NIME 2007.
- https://github.com/jpcima/string-machine - Digital model of electronic string ensemble instrument. DPF.